Saturday, March 12, 2011

a new series and a background

Get ready.  Get set.  It's time for the weekly update featuring LBT!  I know you are completely pumped about this.  It has to be the highlight of your week, because it sure is mine.

I don't have anything new to introduce today to the store.  However, that doesn't mean that I don't have ideas and crafts bought for future items.  I also have been getting quite a few "special" requests for items that aren't in the LBT Store.  To that I say...keep 'em comin'!  I love to try something new especially if it something that you want to see me make.  You can email those special requests to my email:  info{at}lbtoriginals{dot}com.

Since there's no new products today, I thought I would introduce a new series to the blog called "Other items that I have made in order to show you how crafty I am."  The title is kinda wordy and I am looking to shorten it just a touch.  At any rate, we are living in money-tight times.  With gas beginning to skyrocket again causing groceries and other essentials items to increase as well, we are all looking for inexpensive ways to live and give.  (This is why I begin the year's Christmas shopping on December 26th.  You can get some of the best deals and spread it out over the course of the year to trick your wallet.)  With that said, I need to give a small background to who I am. 

Hi, I am Leslie (aka LBT).  As a young child, I was never the thrifty one.  If I had a dollar to spend, I was looking for something to buy whether it was a Lisa Frank pencil or a pack of gum.  As I have grown, I learned to respect what a dollar stood for and not just any dollar:  a hard-earned dollar.  My college years taught me a thing or 2 about that.  I graduated from Auburn University with a degree in Finance.  I am all about money since those 4 years focused on the study of money and how to invest and make it multiply.  I must say that I am not very good when it comes to knowledge about investments such as stocks, bonds, 401k, IRAs, etc.  I know just about as much as the average person.  However, I do know how to look for the best deals and crafts items out of those deals.  And here I am sharing those tips and ideas with you. 

My first featured item is a gift that I made for a one year old girl.  Because I have 3 dog children and no human children, I am not the best at knowing what toys or clothing items children of any age need/want/should have.  Plus I knew that this little girl would be getting a lot of toys and clothes (which is wonderful), but I had a fear of duplicating a gift.  And me being me, I wanted to give something different and meaning full to the little girl's mother since she is a close friend of mine.  So I came up with a picture gift...

Basically the whole point was to have a picture frame that could match Farley's room and could be easily interchanged with newer and more current pictures. 

The frame is an 8x10 black from Hobby Lobby, which was about $8 to $10.  If you are looking for some decorative or even plain frames, they have the best selection and prices.  They mark them down to 50% on a regular basis.  What a great deal!  The background paper is a sheet that I found in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby.  I think it was maybe 10 cents.  You can also use wrapping paper or tissue paper...just whatever is lying around the house will work.  Then I traveled over another craft aisle at (you guessed it Hobby Lobby) and found these cute stick-on letters.  I think they were about $5 for a pack, but I am sure you can find other less expensive letterings at Wal-mart or even make your own!  The last touch was a 19 cent 4x6 picture that I stole off the mother's fb page.  sneaky.  And there you go!  You have an inexpensive and personable gift for a loved one or for yourself.

Thanks for joining me.  I will keep crafting and you keep reading.

1 comment:

  1. I must say, it is one of my favorites of all your crafts! And yes...it has a special place in her room. But I can't bring myself to change the picture-- I love that one too much! You're so talented. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete